A combination of the following
- apples (tart ones like Granny Smith or a good Gala or Fuji)
All or some of the following
- ﬂour (whole wheat or white)
- Ground ﬂax
- ground cinnamon/allspice/cloves/nutmeg
- lemon/lime zest
Plus – butter and sugar
- Cut up the bigger fruit into slices or medium-sized chunks.Toss with a little lime or lemon juice and whichever spices you like and place in the bottom of an appropriately-sized baking dish.
- For the size I usually make, say an 8×12-inch pyrex pan, I use about 1 1/2 cups of the ﬂour/ﬂax/oatmeal/bran mix and 1/2 cup of sugar. Mix them together and add about 3 1/2 to 4 ounces of butter, cut into little pieces. Crumble them together with your ﬁngers or a pastry.
Or you can use a Cuisinart, but don’t over mix; you want this to be a crumble. Gently mix in the spices landcover the fruit evenly with the crumble mixture. Place in a 375 degree oven for 30 or 40 minutes; when the fruit is bubbling and the top brown, it is ready.