I love fresh beet greens, cooked or raw in salads, but since it isn’t always easy to find beets with fresh tops, spinach or chard will be fine. 7 cloves sounds like a lot of garlic, but it mellows out nicely, so don’t think it’s a misprint. It’s a pretty salad, as well as healthy and delicious.
- 1 pound beet greens, spinach or Swiss chard, well rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fruit or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. aniseed
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 3 cups beets, cooked, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 Tbs. sliced green onion
- 1 Tbs. parsley, chopped
1. If the greens are large, roughly cut or tear the. Steam for 5 or 10 minutes and drain, squeezing out excess water, then fluff them up and put in a medium bowl. Mix the garlic, lime juice, oil, s and p and pour over the green and toss well.
2. Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, oil. garlic, aniseed, pepper and lime juice in a small bowl. Add the beets and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
3. At serving time, lay the greens on a platter and spoon the beet cubes on top and then top with the orange wedges, green onion and parsley.